Q. Who needs to sign up to volunteer?
A. One member of each participating family in Camarillo Cosmos must sign up for a volunteer position. Please remember that “volunteering” is not optional. If you cannot volunteer, please find someone to fill in for you. The meets are not possible without your help.
EXEMPTION: If a member of your family has taken a Coaching, Team Parent, board member, or other position, your family obligation is fulfilled for the season.
Q. What about my $200 check?
A. Once you have fulfilled your volunteer commitment, your check will be shredded. If you wish to have it returned to you instead, please send an email indicating that to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you do not fulfill your commitment due to missed meets, your check will be cashed and the money used to support Camarillo Cosmos.
Q. What if I only missed one meet?
A. Unfortunately, we are unable to pro-rate based on partial fulfillment of volunteer obligations. If you miss any of your volunteer commitments, and have not made them up by the end of the season, your check will be cashed.
Q. What if I can’t volunteer at all?
A. As part of the signing up your child for the Camarillo Cosmos, you have agreed to volunteer. Camarillo Cosmos Meets are staffed by volunteers. We need a total of 170 volunteers (including coaches, etc.) to ensure that we are able to host all the events for all the athletes. Please make every attempt to find a family member or friend to take a volunteer position for the Track Season. If you do not volunteer, the $200 volunteer check you turned in at the beginning of the season will be cashed and the money used to support Camarillo Cosmos.
Q. I registered online and can’t make it to the Welcome night to turn in my $200 Volunteer check —what do I do?
Please send it to:
PO BOX 96
Camarillo, CA 93011-0096
Checks should be made out to Camarillo Cosmos and your family’s athlete’s name should be on the check in the memo line.
Q. What are my volunteering options?
A job at the Home Meets:
- The positions are by job and by shift. The AM shift will be 8 AM to 11:30 AM and the PM shift will be 11:00 AM until the end of the meet.
- Please note that the JV meet will be counted as a home meet, and Field Event volunteers will be re-assigned to Staging, Finish line, or Finish Tent at that meet. Because the JV meet runs longer than a normal meet, there will be three shifts at that meet.
A job setting up or tearing down our team tents at away meets:
- All positions are first come, first served. If you do not see a job, it is likely filled.
- Please Note: In the event that we are overstaffed in some areas and understaffed in others during a meet, we may need to move you to a different position. We ask for your understanding and flexibility as we need to ensure that all areas of the meet are adequately staffed to ensure the safety of the athletes.
Q. What do I do at the meet?
A. Sign in at the volunteer table 15 minutes before your shift begins. If you are an AM volunteer, please be sure to sign in by 7:45 AM. If you are a PM volunteer, please sign in by 10:45 AM. If you do not sign in, we will not have a record that you fulfilled your commitment for that day.
Please be at your volunteer position at least 5 minutes before your shift begins to ensure a smooth transition.
Set up and tear down volunteers at HOME MEETS:
- If you have volunteered for set-up at home meets, please be at the meet by 7:00AM.
- There will be a sign-in sheet. Expect set up to take between 30 to 45 minutes. Please Note: The sign-in sheet will close at 7:15 AM—anyone not having signed in by that time will not get credit for their shift.
- If you have volunteered for tear down at home meets, please note that tear down starts as soon as the last group of athletes (Youth and Intermediate) leaves the tent area for the 4x400 relay. This is not time specific. Sign in will coincide with the calls for the 4x400 relays. Expect take down to take 30 minutes.
Set-Up or Tear-Down at Away Meets
- If you have volunteered for set-up at away meets, please be at the meet by 7:00AM. There will be a sign-in sheet. Expect set up to take between 30 to 45 minutes. Please Note: The sign-in sheet will close at 7:15 AM and late arrivals will be recorded as not having completed their obligation.
- Tear Down for away meets starts as soon as the last group of athletes (Youth and Intermediate) leaves the tent area for the 4x400 relay. This is not time-specific. Sign in will coincide with the Calls for the 4x400 relays. Expect take down to take 30 minutes.
Q. Do I need to bring anything?
A. No, but many of the positions require being in the sun for several hours, so please plan accordingly. Sunscreen, water and a hat are all recommended.
Q. What if I can’t make it to a meet?
A. We all have busy schedules and emergencies do happen. However, as we require volunteers to staff the meets, we ask that you please make every attempt to find a family member or friend to cover your shift. Please check your schedule when signing up for a volunteer position and consider whether the away meets would be a better match for your schedule than the home meets.
If you know in advance that you will miss a meet and cannot send a sub, please send an email to email@example.com as soon as possible so that we may attempt to fill the position for that day.
If it is the day of the meet and you cannot volunteer, please come to the volunteer table at the meet and let us know.
Q. Can I make up a missed meet?
A. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee make ups. If there are still upcoming meets, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know your availability. For instance, if there is an upcoming home meet, you can ask to be put on the volunteer schedule for an additional shift (for a total of 2 shifts). We will make every attempt to fit you in.
Q. I still have questions!
A. Please send an email to email@example.com
Q. Does my child have to run in all the meets?
A. No, your child does not have to run in all of the meets. Please let your coach know if you are not going to be at a meet.
Q. How many events can my child do at each meet?
A. Your child may compete in up to four events, including field events.
Q. Do you have to do a field event?
A. No, you do not have to do a field event
Q. What is the order of events?
A. 3200M, Hurdles, 4x100M, 1600M, 400M, 100M, 800M, 200M, 4x400M
Q. What time do the events run at each meet?
A. There is no way of telling what time each event will be. As soon as one event is over the next one begins. Some meets run more quickly than others. Please have your athlete there and ready to go.
Q. What should I bring to a meet?
A. Most meets have bleacher seating but typically athletes and families find it more comfortable to bring chairs and shade to sit on the grass. Likewise, most meets have an open snack bar but bring food for yourself and your athlete to last several hours. Also bring plenty of water, sunscreen, and clothing.
Q. How does my athlete qualify to run in the varsity meet?
A. In most cases your athlete must be in the top 8 or 12 (depending on the event) for their age group. Their coach will let them know if they have qualified.